About

A blog about books, movies, dogs, and general stuff.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Elevator Etiquette

As a pregnant lady, I take the elevator more often. It's tough carrying my laptop, gym bag, lunch, and purse everyday. I'm not lugging them up two flights of steps.

Now, there are plenty of rules for the elevator. Don't stand too close. Don't talk too loud. Don't try to make friends. Don't push the button for one floor up or down. Take the stairs.

And please, men, don't be chivalrous. Just step out of the elevator will you?

Let's analyze this. You are holding an automatic door open for me. From your perspective, that manly hand of yours is holding the powerful doors of death open so I can safely enter and exit the elevator. Are you kidding me? This isn't something that's going to swing shut in my face. It's an automatic sliding door. We're good here. I got this. There is significant enough time to step across the threshold without the doors closing. And if they do, I put my purse between them and they magically open again.

It's nice you want to do something polite for me. I'm happy to let you hold an actual door open. This is an elevator though. I have to gather my bags and squeeze around you, while everyone else juggles their stuff because you simply couldn't walk through the door when it opened.

You are taking "ladies first" a little too seriously. It's like when the show ends at the movie theater. You are sitting at an aisle seat but see a woman in the middle of the row. Do you hold your chair back for her as she shuffles past everyone else to be the first one out of the row? No, you don't. You leave the row single file in an orderly way.

The elevator is no different. Just because I'm standing at the back does not mean all the men need to shuffle to the sides to let me out first. Yes, I'm huge. Yes, I'm carrying 4 bags. Both of those were my choices. Put one foot in front of the other and leave the elevator single file.

Okay, maybe this is a minor irritant, but I hate it when people don't do the rational, efficient thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment