About

A blog about books, movies, dogs, and general stuff.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Obamacare Covers Breastpumps

The rest of my offline blog posts for the pregnancy chronicles have been scheduled. They should post every other day until we're all caught up.

I wanted to share something I learned just yesterday. Obamacare requires health insurance companies to cover breast pumps and lactation consults.

I just....I don't know what to say. The breast pump alone is $300, plus all the accessories and storage bags and the lesson on how to use it.

It might be the first time legislation has actually affected my life for the better. I mean, I've had federal student loans and claimed every deduction I could on my taxes, but this is somewhat different. I get to keep several hundred dollars of my money that I can now use for something else. Like a nicer rocking chair, or more baby clothes, or a diaper mountain.

In other words, this has improved the quality of my life marginally.

And why shouldn't breast pumps be covered? The FDA considers them medical devices. Countless studies have shown the health benefits of breastfeeding to both mother and child. Neither are they optional equipment. Households need to have one or the mother cannot return to work, or cannot be separated from the baby more than a couple hours. It's an unrealistic scenario.

Also, with the breast pump covered by insurance, I can afford to purchase a back-up. Maybe I can have one at work and one at home. Or purchase a small pump as a back-up plan in case there is a failure with the main pump.

The only thing is, my health insurance won't let me choose the manufacturer.  Actually that's okay because Blue Cross Blue Shield pays for Ameda double electric pumps, and that's what I had on my registry. So even that worked out for me.

Not bad, Mr President. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment