About

A blog about books, movies, dogs, and general stuff.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Book Review - Stork

Stork is currently for sale for $2.99 in the Kindle Store. It was a cute story. Had some flaws, but what book doesn't? Overall, I liked it.

Katla had to move with her newly divorced mother from LA to Minnesota. I almost didn't buy the book because of that. I didn't want to read about some selfish, gadget-oriented girl who was mean to the locals. I was pleasantly surprised when Katla made friends right away and was nice to people. Even took a job as a clerk in her grandfather's store.

Yeah, she stuck out a bit with her fashion sense and struggled with the cold. I liked how she didn't blame that on the locals, or her mother for making her move there. Katla is a good person, a good character to read about.

There were some paranormal elements to this romantic YA. After she moves to the town, she discovers she's a Stork. Meaning, she gets dreams of babies wanting to be born and potential mothers. Then a council of Storks gets together and makes a decision on which mother would be best for the baby. This isn't really the focus of the story though. Honestly, this Stork council treated more like a quirk of the town. Many of the locals descend from Norse cultures and still pass on stories about Odin and the bifrost. Katla takes it in stride, like she joined a book club.

The real story was about her and a boy named Jack. It was a strange love-at-first-sight, we're-destined-to-be-together romance. Jack was a bit intense for me, actually. He said stuff like, "I waited for years for you. I didn't date anyone else because I'd just hurt them waiting for you." That's not really a teenage thing to say. I was starting to worry he'd become a stalker.

Despite that weirdness, it wasn't a bad story. I liked it. It was a quick read, worth the $2.99, and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment