About

A blog about books, movies, dogs, and general stuff.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Training

I despise job training. Mostly because it takes you away from your job just so a retired ex-employee can "teach" you stuff that hasn't been relevant for three years.

It's pointless, dumb, and costly. And almost impossible to schedule because the classes pop up at the most inconvenient times and in terrible offsite locations.

The only people who can regularly go to training are the people who don't have much to do. The unproductive, unreliable ones in the office.

You can see where this is going. The unproductive people are the ones with the most training credentials and certifications. They can't actually do the work, but they can sit in a class for a week and pad their resume.

Many available jobs require these credentials. Even if you can do the work competently, without the piece of paper saying you completed the class, you aren't eligible to compete for the position.

I was recently informed of two things:
1. The boss entered my name for a bunch of awards and achievement recognitions last year, only to be rejected from the pile for my lack of training certifications. He was quite pissed and blamed me.

2. There is a job opening up that I'm perfect for, but will be competing against unproductive people with more training certifications.

I realize a majority of this is my fault. I chose to make my work a priority over job training. I stupidly thought it would speak for itself. I met the minimum training requirements of my current job and stopped taking classes. Because I didn't have time to cram them in and still get all my work done.

So now, to remain competitive with the unproductive morons, I have to take a 5 week course that is an hour from my house. I don't see this happening anytime this year since I'm expecting a baby in 4 weeks. Kid has gotta eat and momma needs to be around. Plus, I'm already missing 12 weeks of work this year. An additional 5 is just too hard to schedule. My plan is to enroll in this course and show the bosses I'm working toward another certification, but keep cancelling and rescheduling until the kid is old enough to eat solid food.

Sucks, but what are you gonna do.

No comments:

Post a Comment