About

A blog about books, movies, dogs, and general stuff.

Friday, January 4, 2013

Pregnancy Chronicles - Week 31

Just got back from our babymoon in Miami! We probably wouldn't have gone on vacation this late in the pregnancy and this close to Christmas, but a cousin was getting married in Florida. I'm a big believer in not skipping family events unless you have a seriously good reason. I've been feeling good, the doctor said it was okay, and I have enough vacation leave, so off we went.

And had a fabulous time. We got tropical fruit smoothies and empanadas at a farmer's market stand. Went to the Seaquarium to catch the dolphin shows. Hung out with family, ate Cuban food, and went out for ice cream in the evenings.

I had to wear yoga pants and t-shirts because all my maternity clothes are for winter. I thought about going to a thrift shop and getting some shorts, but didn't bother. I drank water when I got hot, dipped my feet in the ocean, or found some AC.

Unfortunately it was a lot of walking. We were smart about booking the hotel in a central location on Miami Beach. Yes, it was pricey ($30 a day to park!), but we had to minimize the amount of time I was on my feet. Even so with the wedding (dancing), going to the farmer's market (1.5 miles), walking back along the beach (1.5 miles in SAND), and going out to ice cream (1 mile)....my calves were screaming. I stretched every opportunity I could.

It still didn't prevent  my very first leg cramp. We hadn't even woken up for the day yet. I rolled over, stretched out my legs and WHAM. I felt my calf muscle shift upwards, all by itself, and harden into a ball of spasming rage.

I started screaming and flailing about. Husband wrestled my leg down and started massaging the cramp away. Probably not how he wanted to wake up. It took a few minutes to pass and wasn't quite right for the rest of the day. Actually, it's still a little weak. When I drive the car, I can feel it start to cramp again. I have to switch to my left foot when that happens.

Other than that, things are good. I'm sleeping like I'm unconscious and the doctor said yesterday that I can pretty much eat as much as I want. Hello donuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment