About

A blog about books, movies, dogs, and general stuff.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pregnancy Chronicles - Week 35

So hey! We're all caught up on the pregnancy chronicles blog posts. From now on, it'll be in real time.

The work continues on the nursery. More laundry, more purchases. I ordered a toy chest because the toys we got from the shower had babies of their own. I haven't bought a single toy; I don't know where they all came from. Hubby bought and assembled closet shelves last night. Now we have a place for all those extra blankets and bibs and books.

Funny how baby stuff starts with B.
blanket
bib
burp cloth
Bumpo
bassinet
bedding
books
bottle
breast pump
Boppy
bouncer

When we get tired in the evening, every word starts with a "b" syllable. "Hand me that b-onesie please."

Meanwhile, my discomfort grows. The baby dropped early. What that means is he's no longer kicking my ribs, but sitting directly on my bladder. I'm trying hard not to waddle since that is undignified. And it makes people feel bad for you at work. Still, it's difficult with a 5 pounder in your pelvis.

Also got to feel what a pinched sciatic nerve feels like.
See the picture of the buttocks on the left? There's a big nerve cluster that comes out of your tailbone. In pregnancy, this nerve - the sciatic nerve - gets a bit squeezed from the weight of an enormous uterus.

Luckily my pain only lasted 1 day. I did some yoga, took Tylenol, had a hot water bottle, and made sure to sleep with a pillow between my legs.

But dang, that was some pain in the butt. Every time I stood up, I had to wait several minutes (minutes, not seconds) for the pain to stabilize so my right side could bear my weight. It was just the transition from sitting to standing that was killer. I could walk around after I waited a few minutes.

I think I'll do some yoga every day from now on.

Lastly, I had a little surprise at the pharmacy. I refilled my prenatal vitamins, only to find out the doctor changed my type from Vitafol-OB to Vitafol-One+DHA. The difference? Besides some omega-3 fats, about $120. Yup, I normally pay $30 for a 90 day supply. These suckers cost $150 after insurance! I returned them to the pharmacy, called the doctor, asked her change the prescription to something else. She said I needed the DHA for the baby's brain health and faxed over Vitafol-OB+DHA.

Also $150.

I told the pharmacist I couldn't afford it and did some research online. Turns out you can buy these shitters OTC. I got Nordic Naturals from Amazon - 90 day supply for about $25. Why the blazes did I ever need a prescription?? These are just vitamins for crap's sake, not antibiotics or pain meds. There's nothing to justify the $150 co-pay. I'll compare the ingredients when the Amazon shipment arrives, but at first glance, they looked identical to me.

Healthcare rip off.



No comments:

Post a Comment