About

A blog about books, movies, dogs, and general stuff.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Adopt Me Collars

What a crappy picture. This is what I get for taking a picture at night, holding a floor lamp over the collar, and snapping it with my point and shoot. Despite the dark picture, you get the idea. Here is the new Adopt Me collar.

I had the ribbon specially printed for me at a whopping $2 a yard.

Eh, for what I paid, I thought the text would be brighter and the ribbon softer. The texture is rough and the words don't stand out.

Though here's the weird part - I bought 20 yards of it. It arrived 2 days ago. I'm already sold out.

I've never had anything move so fast. Not even Peeps at Easter. I don't even have it listed on Etsy. It's all through Facebook purchases.

I ordered more through a different supplier. Still red ribbon with white lettering, but at a more reasonable $.95 a yard. Hopefully it looks a little better too.

I ordered 100 yards this time.

By comparison, the most I ever ordered at one time was 12 yards of Peeps. For the more popular stuff like Whales and Anchors, I'll buy 10 yards at a time. For 95% of my ribbon purchases, I buy 5 yards.

100 yards is insane.

I have a feeling that everyone who was going to buy a collar has already purchased it, and I'm going to be giving these away for free. Maybe not though, because I haven't even listed it on Etsy, and Etsy accounts for 80% of my sales. Still, it's hard not to be nervous about 100 yards of ribbon. Either way you look at it, I'm going to be sick of this stuff. It'll either sit around, or I'll make so many collars that I don't want to see it anymore.

I'm offering certain rescues 10% off. They have to be rescues I'm familiar with or worked with in the past. Otherwise it's too much work to verify identities. Each month I approach a new rescue about doing a fundraiser on their behalf, donating 10% of the month's sales to their charity. So I'm familiar with a bunch of rescues and can give them a discount.

zee gods though. 100 yards. That's 129 collars, assuming average size necks. Or 50 leashes. That's hours at the sewing machine. I hope I made the right decision!

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering where you got the ribbon? I've been looking for a decently cheap place to order custom ribbon, and i havent found a site yet.

    ReplyDelete