About

A blog about books, movies, dogs, and general stuff.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Homework

I went back to school to get a second masters. Well, online school. This is the second week in the first semester.

It's a bit of a struggle, finding the time to do the reading and completing assignments. The reading is killing me the most. Last week I had 3 chapters to read plus class notes; this week it's 4 chapters and class notes.

Then I have to do the assignments. Typically it's answering discussion questions, which require a bit of research to answer.

For example, this week I have to record a 4 minute podcast for a diary entry 10 years from now. I have to describe what new technologies I will use in my daily life. I know there's no right and wrong answer, but I still don't want to be ridiculous. Obviously we won't have hover cars, but what are the chances of having an electrical car? Or fuel cell?

Anyway, so you see what I mean. These assignments take thought and time. It's been a struggle managing time to walk the dog, do homework, make collars, manage chores, and relax before going to bed. I'm starting to feel tired all the time.

I think I just have to find a rhythm. Get used to the extra responsibility so I don't feel drained.

So why am I bothering? Will it be worth it?

Honestly I don't know. I'm getting a masters because for the last year, people had to pause the meetings to explain stuff to me. I need that, but I hate that. I'm supposed to be an effective team leader, and I feel like I would do a better job if I had more understanding of the technical bits. I'm pursuing a masters because I don't want to be the person my coworkers need to educate.

Not to mention once I know the technical bits, maybe a whole lot of other jobs will be available to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment