About

A blog about books, movies, dogs, and general stuff.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Krav Maga

I took a free 30 minute Krav Maga class during work on Wednesday. It was pretty intense. Krav Maga is an Israeli fighting style. Not a martial art; it's closer to street fighting than martial arts. It teaches you the best techniques to defend yourself when you've been attacked.

The main idea is that you aren't ready for an attack, therefore the other person already has the upper hand. Maybe they knocked you to the ground or went for your throat. Krav Maga drills you through the motions so you can get over the shock and start defending yourself right away.

There are no rules. The very basis of it is survival. Maybe you have to defend your kids or your spouse. Maybe three men broke into your home at night. Maybe you are 50 years old, injured, or are overweight. Krav Maga isn't about strength. It's knowing how to break holds and get to safety.

There wasn't much they could teach us in 30 minutes. I learned that punching is too slow and does too much damage to your hand. It's much better to do a open palm thrust at your attacker, over and over again. I also learned how to protect myself if someone tried to strangle me. That's a bonus. Makes me feel like I did something with my day.

Some of the drills they did were unexpected. So you learned how to break a strangle. Next let's jab at the bag. WAIT!! The instructor just went for your throat! Surprise!!

Even though we just learned how to break a strangle, it was VERY hard to remember when someone attacks you unexpectedly. The whole point is to drill, drill, drill.

Though I have to wonder, at some point are you spending too much time on this? It's nice to be prepared, but I think the good majority of us go through life without ever being violently attacked. I can see how much preparation it would take to change your instincts. Three times a week? Once a week? I know, it'll be worth it if you ever do need it. But what if you don't. I'd rather spend that time in yoga or with my dog.

Anyway, I found a decent Youtube video of a Krav Maga demonstration. See how little effort the guy uses. Also note right before the 2:00, he's sitting in a chair reading when a guy puts a gun to his head.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3Ignz0VLLwA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No comments:

Post a Comment