About

A blog about books, movies, dogs, and general stuff.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I won't read 50 Shades

I won't read Fifty Shades of Grey. Not because it's a bondage book. Those are fine. People, read what you want. Sex, bondage, golden showers, whatever. Just don't stop reading. Authors need you.

No, I have other reasons to avoid Fifty Shades.

1. I've learned the hard way to stay away from the bestseller list. I just don't understand why poor writing becomes so popular.

2. It started off as Twilight fanfic. I don't like Twilight.

3. I hate the premise. An insecure virgin meets an older man and he teaches her about sex. Seriously tired of that trope.

4. People I respect say it was written poorly.


I also kinda hate these sex scenes that have no purpose other than to titillate the reader. In romance, the sex scene is usually to 1) take the relationship to another level, or 2) cause complications. It advances the story somehow.

Now, I get that people want sex scenes and a lot of them. Okay, I don't judge. Let me recommend a MUCH BETTER book for you. Look into Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey. Very awesome series. It takes a while to get started, but eventually the main character, Phedre, uses sex and bondage to seduce the political players and get information about a murder. She can withstand a lot of pain, making her the perfect spy in these sex games. She can get information while being whipped naked.

Again, there is a point to the sex scenes. They advance the plot.

So I don't need to read Fifty Shades. There are better books by talented authors that deserve more attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment