About

A blog about books, movies, dogs, and general stuff.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Commercials Don't Work

In an hour long TV show, it might only be 40-42 minutes of actual programming. The rest is all commercials.

That's a lot of commercials.

Most of us breeze past them with a DVR, but there are some shows that I'm either:
1) so excited to watch I have to see it immediately (Falling Skies)
2) put on because I'm at the gym (House Hunters)
3) turn on for background noise (SportsCenter)

Chances are, you're like me and still watch commercials despite the DVR's best attempt to skip it.

But don't fear, they actually don't work at all.

I recently switched my credit card company because I wanted better rewards and more cash back, and it was pretty limited in choices. I find it difficult to believe this day and age, the only way to redeem my cash is for them to send me a check in the mail? And only after I log on to request it? Why can't they apply my cash back rewards to my statement when I reach $50, for example. Makes no sense.

So I left. I researched the features I wanted online, found a card that gives 1% back on everything, plus 50% bonus at the end of the year, with no limits on how much you can earn.

While watching TV last night, I realized I picked that card Jimmy Fallon has been pushing.

Not only that, it has to be Capital One. Capital One! With all those irritating barbarian/Celtic/Alec Baldwin commercials.

Dang it.

At least I can say I was impervious to all their spokesmen. I picked a card based on its features, not who was in the commercials. Still, I feel a little responsible that I'm now helping to fund more barbarian/Baldwin commercials.

It's probably the same feeling people had when they bought a Kia Soul and realized it was the dancing hamster apocalypse commercial.


PS. Does anyone know why Youtube embedding stopped working with Blogger?

No comments:

Post a Comment