About

A blog about books, movies, dogs, and general stuff.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pregnancy Chronicles - Week 39

I could turn this blog post into a discussion regarding my cervix, but let's not. There is no baby yet. Still pregnant. Still very pregnant. And getting bigger. Could be because I don't want anything to eat besides donuts and ice cream.

I'm definitely ready for this baby to come. Yet this is the second week where the doctor reported no internal progress. This is the part where I could give you tons  of details about my cervix. Let's just say it's not ready.

Which means this pregnancy is likely to go past week 40. A lot of first pregnancies do. I believe the due date was calculated correctly because it was triple checked with ultrasound measurements. Between 5% and 10% of pregnancies end in week 41 or 42. So it happens.

It's what comes next that I'm not thrilled about. The longer the pregnancy goes on, the more the placenta could deteriorate. The baby may not be getting enough oxygen or nutrients. That's when they induce labor or schedule a Cesarean.

I don't want either of those. I suppose no one does really. But I REALLY don't. Look, I'm not stupid. I know for all my bitching and moaning each week, this pregnancy has actually been pretty easy compared to what other people go through. My aches and pains are not that bad. Yeah, it's uncomfortable, but manageable. I've had worse sore muscles than what I'm feeling in my lower back right now. My swollen ankles are disturbing to look at, but I can deal with it.

My point is, everything has been going perfectly for 39 weeks. I can't accept that labor will be different. I don't see my baby as something that has to be medically removed by drugs or scalpel. I can't help to feel that if I need a Cesarean, I will somehow have failed at pregnancy. That is probably irrational, but feelings don't need to make sense. And I do NOT judge other women who had Cesareans; everyone is different. I just know it's not for me.

So if the baby doesn't come by next Thursday, the doctor is going to run a non-stress test. This is risk-free and measures heart rate, movements, and uterine activity. The results may give us a better indication of the baby's health and if medical interference is necessary.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. This baby needs to come soon and naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment