About

A blog about books, movies, dogs, and general stuff.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Yard Visitors

 Last Sunday, we had some visitors in the yard. I have no idea how they got in, but suddenly at 10:30am, they were there, hanging around the patio and on the deck.

Our dog, Colby, actually did his job to let us know they were there. Out of the 12,683 times he barked out the window, this time was for real.

It was pretty surprising to see two beautiful blue pitties chilling on the deck looking in the windows at us.
 Hubby went out first to check for tags. No tags. They were in great shape, very muscular. Not overfed, not skinny. Extremely friendly, happy dogs. We gave them some water, which they drank in a few seconds. I just kept refilling the bowl from the hose.

At this point, we started to think someone put them in our yard. They weren't very tall dogs; just under my knee. Sure they were muscled, but they didn't strike me as jumpers. Hubby searched the perimeter of the fence looking for holes or notes or any clues at all.

 The dogs played some ball and seemed to settle down in the yard. I started making phone calls to see what we were supposed to do now - the vet, animal control, rescues, etc. No one would answer the phone on a Sunday morning. I was starting to get real mad because it looked like we'd have the dogs for a few days and have to take them somewhere and give a donation to do it.

And I was getting real pissed at the people who lost or abandoned these sweet dogs. We didn't even know their names.
After about 12 phone calls and no luck, we went back outside to check on them.

Gone.

It was only about 30 minutes, and I just don't see these dogs as capable of jumping the fence. Hubby checked the fence again for holes, and I looked down the block to see if they were hanging around.

Nope, just gone. I didn't see them again all day long.

Maybe one day we'll figure out what happened to our yard visitors. Until then, I hope I did right by them.

No comments:

Post a Comment