About

A blog about books, movies, dogs, and general stuff.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Planes

It's been a while since I flew United (4 years actually) and I can't believe how small the seats got.

And haha, no, I didn't get larger.I'm not talking about the cushions, but the leg room. Holy hell, I'm five foot nothing and my knees were pressed up against the seat in front of me. Does that make any sense to you?

Because of overhead space, I had to shove one of our carry-ons under my seat. I had nowhere to put my knees or my feet.

I also sat in the middle seat because I'm significantly smaller than my husband and it seemed fair to take that seat. I flew the whole way there with some guy's elbow in my side. I flew the whole way back with another guy reclining into my already diminished area.

I could barely move. For hours. I used to like traveling too. Airplanes were an adventure and took you somewhere cool. Now they feel like misery you overcome, with the lack of movement, noise, people, and motion sickness.

And if someone is reclining into your area, forget getting to that bag under the seat. Need another book? Chapstick? Contact solution? Hell no, because there is no angle of approach that will let you 1) pull out that bag, 2) have enough room to sift through it, and 3) place it back underneath. I messed my shins up just getting it under there in the first place.


For the record, I have never reclined my seat on an airplane. I never will. I don't like it when people do it to me, therefore, I will not do it to others. It's the same as bumping your grocery cart into someone at the checkout line and leaving it shoved up against their ass for a few hours. Don't invade my space and I won't invade yours.

It's pretty much the equivalent of shackling you to that seat. You can't move much, getting out is too much trouble, and everything starts to hurt. The jailers do come around with a small cup of refreshments, and they let you choose that beverage just to keep you quiet.

Forget prisons. We should make inmates sit in airplanes.



No comments:

Post a Comment